Thursday, October 20, 2011

Very wise marriage (or any relationship) advice


Rule #3
Don't take it personally.

Rule #2
Don't Panic.

Rule #1
I am responsible for my own happiness, just as everyone around me is responsible for his/her own, too.

It's about setting appropriate boundaries and not taking responsibility for other people's happiness, even when it's with the Most Important Person In The World to you. Some people are able to work through this process on their own, some with help from their support network, and others with the help of a therapist. But it requires a lot of self-confidence, self-worth, and perseverence to take this course of action. There's no guarantee that your other is going to come around. But you will have preserved your sanity and dignity with the knowledge that you can handle whatever comes next. Finally, this approach can be beneficial in all relationships you have with others: children, parents, friends, boss, etc.
*Credits to the comments on this article. I didn't like the article all that much but I'm glad to have picked out a few gems of advice from the comments.


P.S. And that is why I love The Hitchhiker's Guide all the more.
P.P.S. I think Rule #3 is the hardest to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment